Wednesday 27 January 2010

RAIN

I looked at the sky. I could not see any star. The moon was nowhere to be seen. I spreaded open my hands through the window into the darkness of the night. "Ouch, it's cold and it's hard!", I pulled back my hands. The drops of the rain hit my palm. It was raining cats and dogs since this morning.

I was still standing there when my sister came into the kitchen to prepare dinner for us. I turned my face to her. "What are we having tonight?" She did not answer. I bet she must be as worried as me. I continued looking at the sky; looking at the hard rain hitting the ground. My thought was no where else but to my farm.

It was just two hours ago I last visited the farm. The crops were still good. But what if the rain doesn't stop? What if the rain floods the farm? Ahhhh...I didn't want to think about that. I didn't want to have any 'if'. I wanted the rain to stop! "No,no...the rain will definitely stop", I monologued, trying to convince my own self.

"Hey, don't you have any homeworks to do? Do you think your homeworks will be done by keep standing there?", my sister broke my silence with a little frowning. My sister was a very strict girl and always putting serious look on her face. My younger brother who was two years younger than me, never came close to her. She was 20 years-old, eight years older than me. But, despite her serious look, she was a very nice person and the most important thing to me was that she was a very good cook. Maybe my little brother was still too young to understand her strictness and seriousness.

I replied," Do you think I am in any mood to do the homeworks while this heavy rain pouring down?" I heard my sister was sighing, letting me spacing out into the rain again. I knew that she also knew what I was thinking. And maybe at that time, she was also worrying the same thing as me but tried to hide it from this little sister.

" Sis, did we dig enough drainage for the water from the farm to flow into the canal?", I asked. I turned around to see her. Our eyes met. Her eyes told me that the answer was a NO if the rain continued. Again, I stared at the raindrops, worried.

" I am home". My mother was back. I run to see her at the front door. I could hear the wooden floor cracked sounds under my feet, but I didn't care. " Hey, do you want to turn this house into a ruin?", I heard my sister yelled from the kitchen but I didn't care. I wanted to know about the farm from my mother as soon as possible.

Huh? The farm already flooded? My mother and I were going back to the farm to drain the flood using hydro-engine. We were going to spend the night in the rain at the farm. My sister's class started in the morning, so she was staying home with my little brother. I walked in the rain. The rain was still heavy. The umbrella couldn't even protect me from the rain. Being frustrated with the umbrella, I put it aside. I could feel the rain dropped onto my face. It was painful, but my heart was far more painful.

I zoned out again. Wasn't rain supposedly be a bless from the God? Then, why it was raining heavily? Why the rain flooded my farm? Then, how I gonna live if my crops were gone? What a 12 years-old school girl was doing in the middle of the night in the heavy rain? Wasn't she supposedly be at home doing the school homeworks? Didn't the God love me? I asked my mother. She said that that was a small test from the God and I should accept it happily. Well, I was just an elementary school girl. Everything came from a mother was a truth. Never wondering about it further. Never trying to understand it further.


Cerita ini adelah rekaan semata-mata. Tiada kaitan antara yang hidup dan yang mati.

No comments:

Post a Comment