Monday 22 February 2010

BEST FRIEND

I ran as fast as I could. The sky was turning into orange-reddish colour. The sunset was coming on its way. Could I make it? Were they still there? A lot of things were on my mind. I tried my best to finish my farm’s work as quick as possible. Yesterday, I already missed the chance to play with my friends. I didn’t want to miss it again today.

Even if it just for a very short moment, I would always love to spend some times with my friends. I spent my day with school and working, so I barely had time to play. Sometimes, I never had a chance to go and play like other children did at all. I was still a child. I wanted to live as one too, but my life won’t allow me to have that privilege. I envied other children. They should be grateful to have such life.

Finally, I was there, at the playground where my friends always spent their evenings. Thank god, they were still there. My effort to run as fast as I could was not wasted. I smiled happily to myself.

In my hometown, children loved to play this one game. It was similar to high-jump, but instead of using the rod, we used rubber-band attached to one another producing a long chain of rubber band. Then, there will be two people holding the rubber chain. The height of the rubber chain depended on the height of the children holding it. The children will be divided into two groups. Group on their turn will try to jump over that rubber chain while two people from the other group will hold it. Unlike high-jumping, in this game, we could touch the chain. We could use any ways to pass over the rubber chain but we couldn’t use external help. Even though, it was not an actual high-jump, we still called this game as high-jump. I was good that this game as I was good at somersault-like technique when the height passes my own height.

They were playing high-jump happily and cheerfully. Again, I envied them. I wished my life would be that cheerful. I went close to them. “Can I join you guys?” I asked their permission. I really hoped that they will accept my request even though they already at the end of the game. They were already aware how my life was. Therefore, there was no way for them to reject me just because I came late.

“No, you can’t.” I was very shocked to hear the answer. I asked them the reason for not allowing me to join them. “You are too good to play with us. You always play too hard and never hold back. You make us look stupid”. Hehh?? I was isolated because I was too good? I would never expect that will be the reason, not even in my dream.

I was speechless. I didn’t fight back to defend myself. Maybe that was my own fault. I was used to work hard. My farming work demanded me to work hard. My upbringing taught me to never hold back. So, I didn’t know how to hold back. That was totally my own fault. Why? Why my own life always turned me down?

“We are playing here and you are hindering our game. Can you go to the other spot?” I heard one of them asking me to leave. I was too shock with their confession just now, so I just turned around to leave when I heard they asked me to. But suddenly, I heard a voice from my back.

“It is not her fault to be too good, but it is really because you all are too stupid. You all are 100 years too early to catch up with Eri. If she is good, then you should try your best to surpass her!” he yelled at them. I could see his angry face. “Nazmi, what are you doing? It is my fault not their fault.” He ignored my words. “Eri, ignore them. Let’s go play somewhere else. They are the stupidest creature I ever met. How can they throw away a friend just because you are good? That’s silly”.

I was touched by his action. He sacrificed his wonderful time and friendship with those friends just because to defend me. “Nazmi, can you become my best friend? No, I am wrong. You are actually already the best friend I ever met”

No comments:

Post a Comment